Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Habits in the New Year

One of the reasons I am committing to a year of blogging journal themes is I want to do everything I can to re-enforce new habits so I can see success in areas that are important to me. I want to take my physical fitness and artistry to a new level. Being a mom of three young boys keeps me very busy. Yet, time won't wait for them to grow. We are not guaranteed another day. 

Habits should be created so that one may allow themselves the energy to put towards their needs and goals. However, I think one point we often skip over are habits that are no longer serving us. It is important to be willing to change ourselves to make room for new habits. 

There are a few habits I should probably let go of. First, alcohol and junk food should go. I've already taken the first step, I've stopped as of last night. Oh! But it's not a habit yet! I can't allow myself to slip for one moment. I have to be solid and consistent to let go of this habit. Another habit I should get rid of? Constantly checking in on Facebook. Perhaps I should start with one FB look a day? Hmmm... To start I'll do once in the morning and that is it! I'll re-evaluate later after I've been consistent. 

New habits to start... oh this one is a doozey! There is so much change I want including daily juices, smoothies, salads, fresh and organic foods, tons of water, and quarterly cleanses. I also want to exercise daily so that if I miss a day or two in a week, I am still very consistent. Cause really, I am a mom of three small boys and there will be days I just won't make it to the gym. Another habit will be to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. I should probably get up between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. if I want to get a good start on my day. That means falling asleep no later than 11 p.m. 

Oh, I am laughing at myself right now. How I love to stay up a little too late. As a mom it allows me to have quiet time and I need it! Yet, I just don't think staying up late is serving me as well as I'd like it to. I'd like to have time for morning coffee, a quick freshen up for the day, gym bag packed, breakfast prepared for the family, all before the kids wake up. This is not what happens in the morning. Currently, every morning I am stressed out mom who has one hour to make coffee, feed a family breakfast, and get the older kiddo dressed and out the door to preschool. I am nuts! In my defense, I am coming off of a major sleep deprivation stint with my two younger boys who happen to be twins. After the twins started to sleep through the night, I had to teach my body how to sleep again. Now that I have that down, my reason is simply an excuse that doesn't serve me well anymore. I am not happy with how it affects me and the family so it's time for change.

I came across this interesting article on BrainPickings.com: William James on Habit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment